I saw this video by Brad Wilcox on my friend Mindy Heath’s blog. Mindy and I both attended the leadership portion of the Moms’ Retreat (http://momsretreat.org
This is so good I watched it twice!
It totally relates to our experience on the challenge course. The atonement of Christ makes it so we can’t fall spiritually, just as the men who were on the ground belaying for us made it so we couldn’t physically fall. If you want to understand the atonement and the grace of Christ better, please watch this.
Here are some of my favorite lines from Brad’s speech:
- “We are not earning heaven, we are learning heaven.”
- “Jesus doesn’t make up the difference, Jesus makes all the difference.”
- “Grace is not about filling the gaps, it is about filling us.”
- “We will all go back to God’s presence. What is left to be determined by our obedience is what kind of body we plan on being resurrected with and how comfortable we plan to be in God’s presence and how long we plan to stay there.”
- Fulfilling Christ’s requirement is like paying a mortgage payment instead of a rent.
- Christ’s atonement is like a mom paying for piano lessons for her child. Then she turns around and asks the child to practice. Practicing does not pay the piano teacher. Practicing is how the child pays the mom to show appreciation for the gift given and change to be a pianist.
- Practicing is not to punish us but to allow us to be changed.
- Grace from Jesus not only saves us, but can change us.
- “A life impacted by grace allows us to live a life that looks like Christ’s.”
- “Heaven will not be heaven for those who have not chosen to be heavenly.”
- “The miracle of the atonement is not that we can go home, but that we can feel at home there.”
- “Grace is not the absence of God’s expectations. It is the presence of God’s power.”
- “Don’t look for escapes or someone to blame. Look for Christ and you will feel His enabling power that is His grace.”