Today’s story to celebrate mothers in honor of upcoming Mothers’ Day is called “Lost Glasses in the High Sierras.” It appeared in the July 1983 Ensign, the adult magazine for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Go here to read it. In this story, we see the power of a mother to coach a son in finding the eyeglasses he lost on a backpacking trip in the High Sierras. This story touches my heart on so many levels. It seems like a simple story on the surface of finding something that was lost. When I ponder on it, however, I come up with all these questions, such as:
- Would this boy have found his glasses without his mother’s help?
- To what extent am I willing to help my children when they are in trouble?
- What can I do to help my children find something they have lost?
- When has my mom helped me find something that was lost?
- Is there someone in each of our lives who could use our help as a mother figure, finding something that was lost?
This is one of the stories I have curated in The Celestial Guide to Family Devotionals. Do you have your copy? If not, go here to buy one today! It will help you easily find heartwarming songs, scriptures, poems and stories to warm your heart. Use for your family/homeschool devotionals or FHE or firesides.