I started hosting a Constitution Alive class with content from patriotacademy.com through zoom. Now more than ever we need to know what our God-given rights are that are protected by the Constitution. The video above and below are the first two videos from the 6-week class.
The second video, below, is all about the Declaration of Independence and its connection to the Constitution. If you haven’t watched it already, I encourage you to watch it this weekend to help celebrate America’s Independence Day. Just for fun, I have a quiz to help you focus and feel rewarded by the knowledge you gain after watching the second video. Watch it as a family and give treats for correct answers.
Independence Day Quiz (answers are all in the video just above and spelled out at the bottom of this post)
Questions about our Seeds of Liberty
- Who was the first delegate at the Continental Congress to propose separation from Great Britain?
- Who were the 5 Founding Fathers on the committee assigned to write the Declaration of Independence?
- Who said the people were “not only ripe but rotting for independence”?
- Which states initially voted no to the original vote for independence?
- Who spent all night riding on horseback to break a tie vote for one of the colony’s no votes for independence, and what colony was he from?
- Why did George Mason not sign the Constitution?
- What did George Washington say were the two indispensable supports for government to function effectively?
- What is the most important puzzle piece that Rick Green says in the video above that allow a person to understand rights?
- What does the 3/5 compromise in the Constitution really mean?
- Which Founding Father told the members of the Constitution Convention that they needed to pray as a group to ask for God’s help?
- What is the percentage that Dr. Donald Lutz gave for the Bible shaping the Founding Fathers’ ideas to write the Constitution? (for more info see https://wallbuilders.com/chw/lessons/lesson-4-american-founding-federal-era-original/)
- What are the six immutable principles that Rick Green and David Barton present at the end of the video above that the Declaration of Independence is based on?
Answers to the Questions Above
- Richard Henry Lee
- Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Roger Sherman, Robert Livingston
- John Witherspoon
- South Carolina, Delaware, Pennsylvania
- Cesar Rodney, Delaware
- No Bill of Rights
- Religion and morality
- That our rights don’t come from government, they come from God. “Liberty under God, not liberty without God.”
- The message to the southern states was “If you keep slavery, you actually only get 3/5 representation of your entire population.”
- 1) There is a Creator 2) Inalienable rights come from God 3) Government exists to protect inalienable rights 4) There is a fixed moral law 5) Government functions at the consent of the government 6) The people have a right to change the gvt. if it becomes destructive of the ends of protecting life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness