Happy Birthday to the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ! It was on this day, 192 years ago that it was published. I’ve been sharing stories about this marvelous book, which you can read over here. In 8 years we celebrate 200 years!
By reading and living the truths taught in this book, a person can come closer to God than any other book. That’s what Joseph Smith wrote in the introduction to the book (sixth paragraph). That’s because this book is all about Jesus Christ, and Jesus Christ is The Way to God, because He is the Only Begotten Son of God the Father.
Did you know that the book has over 100 titles for Jesus Christ? You can watch a video about that here.
Did you know that by reading this book, over 200 pages in, a woman addicted to smoking lost her desire to smoke? It’s true! It’s a story told by President Gordon B. Hinckley, and you can read it here.
Did you know a copy of the Book of Mormon survived a house fire? Books all around it burned to ashes, and yet this sacred book did not burn. Read about that here.
Did you know that a minister of a Christian church found a copy of the book, with its cover and title page torn off, on a pile of ashes in an alleyway in NYC, read from it, and then taught the truths of the book mixed with the Four Gospels, to his congregation? You can watch a video about that here, and get the link to read the full story in the man’s own words.
Did you know that John Welch, the star of my blog post yesterday, has found more amazing literary forms and attributes about the Book of Mormon that give credence to believing it was not invented by Joseph Smith, but that it really is of ancient origin? You can read about that here.
Did you know that a king said that the Book of Mormon is so precious to him that it is worth more than diamonds and rubies? Watch the video above or read the talk here.
Here are ten truths I have learned from the Book of Mormon. I wrote this in response to President Nelson’s invitation in the video above to list what the Book of Mormon is, what it is not, what it affirms, what it refutes.
What the Book of Mormon affirms:
- that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the World
- that Jesus Christ would not only atone for our sins but suffer for our infirmities and weaknesses “And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities. Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me.” Alma 7:11-13
- that the purpose of this life is to have joy (2 Nephi 2:25)
- that the eating of the fruit by Eve, and the subsequent Fall of Adam and Eve, were not tragic accidents or mistakes. They were courageous steps so that we, as mortals, might move forward according to the plan of salvation. If Eve had not eaten of the fruit, we would not have been able to be born and gain a body and receive a fulness of joy (And now, behold, if Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen, but he would have remained in the garden of Eden. And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created; and they must have remained forever, and had no end. And they would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin. But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things. 2 Nephi 2: 22-24)
- that Jesus Christ is to be the God of America and will never have a mortal king, but be a land of liberty, as long as the inhabitants honor Jesus Christ as their God (2 Nephi 1:7)
- that those who migrate to America did so and do so under the guiding influence of the Lord (2 Nephi 1:6)
- that Jesus Christ is our advocate with the Father
- that “the Lord doth grant unto all nations, of their own nation and tongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he seeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true.” Alma 29:8. This shows that no nation or group has a monopoly on truth. God gives wisdom to all according to their readiness to receive truth, to all nations, across the globe, throughout all history. God is so generous!
- that Jesus Christ will manifest Himself to all who seek him (2 Nephi 26:12-13)
- that we can feel comfort if we lose anyone to death. “The spirits of all men,” when they die, go home to that “God who gave them life.” (Alma 40:11-13) These verses show both mercy and justice. Those who have lived according to goodness and the light and truth they have get the just reward of paradise. Those who have chosen “evil works rather than good,” get their fair punishment as well.
- that some things are not worth our labor and money: “Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy. Hearken diligently unto me, and remember the words which I have spoken; and come unto the Holy One of Israel, and feast upon that which perisheth not, neither can be corrupted, and let your soul delight in fatness.” 2 Nephi 9:51
- the importance of covenant making
- that we can ask to filled with charity, the pure love of Christ
What amazing treasures of truth! I will be updating this list as I find more! I love the Book of Mormon! My friend Joyce calls reading from it the best beauty treatment! It makes your spirit and your countenance more beautiful as you immerse yourself in it. Here are some treasures that President Nelson quoted President Monson as saying we will have from diving into the Book of Mormon, as published in the January 2020 Friend:
I know these promises are real! I have experienced them coming true in my own life. I testify that the words of the Book of Mormon are true. You might like watching this video below about people who were shown words from the Book of Mormon without knowing the source. I blogged all about that here.
If you want more stories about the Book of Mormon, please go to the “March” section of my Celestial Family Devotionals ebook, found here for free.